[Fedora-marketing-list] Info

Christoph Strobel christoph.strobel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 10:01:31 UTC 2006

Hello Gabriel!

Question: since I intend, when the company will be in "steady-state", to
> work on a free Linux distro, while supporting it, would you please let me
> know what would be the connection points, from the practical standpoint,
> between RHEL and Fedora, compared to other free distros? I'd like to use
> on some servers the RH supported licenses, and on others a free distro, the
> "closest" possible to RH. Would be Fedora this one (and why)?

Fedora is still widely known as the "Linux made by RedHat", this fact in one
hand and the option to "upgrade" to RHEL without big differences in using
and maintaining the system in the other hand is a good equipment for talking
to your customers.

I've never used CentOS, so I can't say what the benefits of using this
distribution are. But I made quite good experiences with using Fedora for
smaller customers, as server- and client-os. Smaller companies are always
happy not having to pay for their operating system, especially if their
business isn't IT-related and their decision makers don't know much about
software. I often hear "We have to pay for Linux? I thought it is free! Why
shouldn't we get Windows then?", and it's not easy to convince them that
Linux is the better choice. So starting with Fedora can lead them into the
Linux-World at smaller costs. Once they are using Fedora for a while, it's
not that hard anymore to make them switch to RHEL when their needs and their
infrastructure grows.

Greetings,

Chris