[Fedora-marketing-list] Community - Was - Ubuntu Release Party...

Karlie Robinson karlie.robinson at fedoraproject.org
Sun Nov 12 08:13:15 UTC 2006

I'm going to bulk together my answers
~K

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Thats very different from "RTFM".

End users don't read much = RTFM

It's an attitude that's not helpful to users who may have troubles
regardless of how much they've read.

Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
 > One of the things I've noticed as a comparison is not so much the
 > explaining of 'noob' questions or anything like that.  Its the fact that
 > we have to build/improve the community.
[snip]
 > I'm also not sure how to recreate something like that.  The
 > support, the help, the innovation that gets created.  The contribution
 > that goes back.

Building a community is about an attitude.

It's not about being the Fedora Help desk, it's more about being the
fedora Welcome wagon and showing hospitality.

Imagine if there was a 4th icon on the desktop by default.  Call it
Help, or Getting Started that opened up a directory with options for IRC
help, Manual pages, Forum Help etc.

Thinking that just because some users figured it out by themselves
doesn't mean that everyone can do it.

Sam Folk-Williams wrote:
 > I do think that a lot of people have the impression that it's easier to
 > get involved with other linux communities than it is to get involved
 > with our community. That said, I think we have an excellent community
 > once you get to know it.

I'm a Fedora Ambassador and consider myself a reasonably intelligent
woman.  But doing the CLA kicked my butt.  It came down to the fact that
my webmail was funky, but over and over and over the best advie I could
get was along the lines of "gee I don't know, have you read [link to the
wiki]?"

To this day, *I DO NOT USE FEDORA* on my Linux box simply because I do
not want to deal with the community should I have questions.

I work hard getting Free Media Discs out, but when it comes to most of
what goes on with the marketing and ambassador lists/IRC chats and
meetings, I'm turned off.

 From my point of view, if this is what happens with the ambassadors who
are the public face of Fedora, I can only imagine how I'd be recieved as
a regular ole user with a question.

~Karlie