[Fedora-marketing-list] Re: Big decisions loom for Fedora

chasd chasd at silveroaks.com
Mon Nov 20 19:38:53 UTC 2006

> From: Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org>

> Article covering the Fedora Summit related developments
> http://lwn.net/Articles/207938/

 From the linked posting to f-a-b by Mr. Spevack:

> The choice to have those meetings on the phone, as opposed to on
> IRC, was
> one that was made by the Board when we started up, the main reason
> being
> the ones that Paul stated -- phone calls are higher bandwidth, and the
> idea is to get everyone in that call on the same page as quickly as
> possible.

At our company, we have found that phone conferences are very
productive, but unless there is a transcriptionist, what each person
takes away from that conversation isn't always the same. And the
contents of the conversation is not available to those not on the
conference call.

Slap down a digital voice recorder next to the phone speaker and post
an OGG later.

> Reading through all of those emails, the one thing that really
> struck me
> and made me think was the comment that "everything in Fedora takes
> a long
> time."

Fedora isn't just turning a great big ship ( RH, cough ), it is
turning a ship, building a ship, and at the same time trying to
respond to all the shouters on the dock telling you what to do to both.

Yeah, it's gonna take time.
 From an end-user perspective, I just want to see continuous
improvement visible.
( I think there has been a great deal of progress FC5 => FC6
_outside_ of the versions on the packages that are on the discs )
Speed isn't that important to me because Fedora will never be "done"
- there isn't really a finish line.

Charles Dostale