[Fedora-marketing-list] Re: Ubuntu Release Party in Beijing, what about Fedora?

Leo sdl.web at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 10:48:49 UTC 2006

On Mon, 30/10/06, Jasper Hartline wrote:

> Leo wrote:
>> If we assume Fedora is for Desktop users, I think reducing the number
>> of CDs is a must. Make it within 2 CDs would be nice. At least there
>> should be an install option that does not require all 5 CDs.
>>
> Not all installation types require 5 CDs.
> 5 CDs comprises the whole of the Fedora Core distribution.
> Sounds plenty conservative to me, compared to Mandriva's 10 CD set or
> something.

Mandriva is 4CD set. You might mean Debian, well they include >1,6000
packages.

> What you're wanting is similar to a barebones Windows XP install that
> fits in 550MB on once CD.

You think 2CDs installation is barebone ...

> Why don't you just move on and forget about Linux rather than spread
> misinformation that installihng Fedora Core
> requires 5 CDs?

who is actually spreading misinformation. Even with a minimal
selection of packages, Anaconda will warn users to have 5CD at hand.

If we indicate in the release notes that the default package selection
only requires the first two CDs. I think that will save the majority
of the users a lot of trouble.

--
Leo