[Fedora-marketing-list] Fedora Core 6 Pre release review

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Oct 9 16:06:34 UTC 2006

Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
> I thought there was work in progress for a new init system, called
> initng if I recall correctly, which supposedly would load and process
> start up scripts in tandem rather than sequentially. Stuff which can
> be loaded all at once will be loaded at once, and that which require
> prior stuff is loaded when the reqs are met.

Initng is already in Fedora Extras after a long review process.

  I thought Fedora was
> going to use this type of init system instead of upstart (or upstart
> could be a new name for initng from what I can make out of that post).

No. Its a new init system written after the review process of initng
started and we havent decided which init system to adopt or whether to
write a new one.  Speed is not the factor that would lead Fedora to get
a new init system. There are a number of other advantages that are more
important.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FCNewInit