[Fedora-marketing-list] Re: Fedora 6 to strengthen virtualisation features with Xen 3.0.3

chasd at silveroaks.com chasd at silveroaks.com
Thu Sep 14 16:49:54 UTC 2006

>> chasd at silveroaks.com wrote:

>> Does Red Hat release Fedora, or the Fedora Project ?
>> Or some other "Fedora-foo" entity ?
>> If the entity releasing Fedora is not Red Hat, is it a distinction
>> worth
>> reminding individuals in the media about ?

> Rahul wrote:

> Fedora Project but currently the "release" is just Fedora Core and
> doesnt include Fedora Extras.

My bad, in a message speaking to the accuracy of terminology, I
incorrectly referred to "Fedora Core" as "Fedora" - confusing the
issue.
Sorry.

Not to belabor the point, but would the Fedora Community "release"
Fedora Extras, or would that effort be better considered under the
Fedora Project umbrella ?

> So realistically that's just Red Hat doing
> all the release management work.

So the article was correct stating Red Hat releases Fedora Core ?
To me, it is more correct to say Red Hat engineers as part of the
Fedora Community play a staggeringly large role in the release of
Fedora Core.
I suppose for simplicity's sake, just saying Red Hat isn't far off.
However I think that simple statement re-enforces a general perception
that the Fedora Project seems to keep fighting.

I think that outside of the Fedora Community, the following statements
might be viewed as true:

Red Hat = Fedora Core
Red Hat = Fedora Project

The first is false in my mind ( and comparing different types ) while
the second would be more accurate with a tilde above the equal sign; it
is not _completely_ true.
Or maybe my glasses need cleaning, and I'm not seeing things straight ;)

Using consistent terms when discussing the distribution and the
entities involved is important to outside perception.
Getting reviewers and other individuals in the media to use the
consistent terms is part of guiding that perception in the desired
direction.

Getting random posters on Slashdot to use the consistent terms is a
pipe dream ;)

Charles Dostale