Mascot - Blue Arrara

Alex Maier lxmaier at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 18:37:39 UTC 2007

On 4/9/07, Dimitris Glezos <dimitris at glezos.com> wrote:
> Linus himself describes the need for a mascot better in [2].

Linus knows his way around programming, but I have not known he had a
Marketing or Design degree...

> Judging from how successful these mascots have been and
> how often they've been used in so many events and places,
> I'd say that our community (too) would get benefited from a mascot.

Just because others have them, doesn't mean we *need* one. What we
need, is--as Máirín correctly noted--a community version of our logo,
something anyone in the community can use and modify, for creation of
wallpapers or promotional web pages, for example.

A parrot does not get us any closer to a sane logo licensing situation.

> If we do decide to go on with the mascot idea, the next logical step would be to
> announce a contest for mascot ideas in public (something like the OpenVideo
> contest [3]). I guess FAB should be notified before that.
>
>  [3]: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/OpenVideo

I ran this contest together with Max and Mike and a few others, and
the intention never was to create something reusable for generations
to come. The idea was to engage the creative community and to promote
open licenses and open media encoding formats.

Design by committee is an oxymoron. Good taste has nothing to do with
majority vote. Majority vote will reflect majority taste, but again,
that's just me thinking out loud.

/me goes to ponder why there is even a profession called "Designer" if
we can vote.