Mascot - Blue Arrara

Frederic Hornain fhornain at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 12:12:33 UTC 2007

Dear *,

Well, I know that I am not often on the mailing list but can I permit to
give you my point of view ?

In addition, I have red this post quite quickly so excuse me in advance if I
missed some points.

So, at first sight I would be more in accordance with what Alex said.

I do not see any reason why we would need a mascot even if there is a lot of
good reasons to create one and that the community want to create one - I
respect that -.

Ok, Linux has TUX and BSD has Chuck but have they others kind of logo ???

I have already difficulties to explain to people what Fedora is since the
split with Red Hat Enterprise Distribution.

How many time did I hear people asking what is the difference between Red
Hat and Fedora or again Fedo.. what?

So if in addition I have to explain that Fedora has one logo and one
mascot....

Well, I do not believe that my next event will be easy. You see what I mean.
:)

You know what ? Keep it simple as much as possible. That is my advice.

Nonetheless I have to admit a nice mascot could be useful for children but
at the opposite it would have - I think - a not so good effect on companies
and professional world.

How many times in the past do you hear that Linux was a toy for students ???

OK, it is not the case anymore now. Fortunately !

Probably due to its logo representation and obviously a lack of knowledge
from professionals about what this OS could do.

Even if I have others argument I have to conclude - sorry for that but I do
not have lot of time -.

So for me, I think Fedora should keep its logo and should not have another
logo or mascot.

However it could be interesting to give one mascot to the
Children designed Fedora distribution.

I mean Sugar the OLPC OS.

Let's hope that you understand me, I was not so direct and I did not hurt
someone cause I respect what have been done here.

Thanks for your comprehension.

BR

Fred

On 4/9/07, Máirín Duffy <duffy at redhat.com> wrote:

> Alex Maier wrote:
> >> Judging from how successful these mascots have been and
> >> how often they've been used in so many events and places,
> >> I'd say that our community (too) would get benefited from a mascot.
> >
> > Just because others have them, doesn't mean we *need* one. What we
> > need, is--as Máirín correctly noted--a community version of our logo,
> > something anyone in the community can use and modify, for creation of
> > wallpapers or promotional web pages, for example.
> >
> > A parrot does not get us any closer to a sane logo licensing situation.
>
> I think it would, if the parrot was recognized as a symbol of Fedora and
> community members could use it freely. You can't really trademark or
> copyright an animal or creature anyway. Logos are commonly trademarked
> and use particular fonts and have to look a particular way to be
> recognizable, but there are many many variations of Tux that are all
> recognizable and easily associated with Linux:
>
> - http://streetpc.free.fr/img/Tux.png
> -
>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/65/Baby.tux-800x800.png/600px-Baby.tux-800x800.png
> - http://www.arabx.com.au/tux/
>
> Obviously it would be nice if the Fedora logo could safely be released
> under a more open license but I certainly would *not* hold my breath
> waiting on copyright/trademark laws to be improved to a point where this
> is possible anytime soon. I know a number of very smart people are
> working on this but changes in this kind of policy take a long time.
>
> >> If we do decide to go on with the mascot idea, the next logical step
> >> would be to
> >> announce a contest for mascot ideas in public (something like the
> >> OpenVideo
> >> contest [3]). I guess FAB should be notified before that.
> >>
> >>  [3]: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/OpenVideo
> >
> > I ran this contest together with Max and Mike and a few others, and
> > the intention never was to create something reusable for generations
> > to come. The idea was to engage the creative community and to promote
> > open licenses and open media encoding formats.
> >
> > Design by committee is an oxymoron. Good taste has nothing to do with
> > majority vote. Majority vote will reflect majority taste, but again,
> > that's just me thinking out loud.
>
> How exactly is this design by committee? It's several folksworking
> together as a team; folks proposing ideas if they are not designers, and
> designers coming up with artwork based on the proposals they liked. I
> don't think there is anything inherently bad about designers working in
> a team (quite the contrary.)
>
> > /me goes to ponder why there is even a profession called "Designer" if
> > we can vote.
>
> I just don't understand this statement. I'm sorry. I don't see any
> esoteric 'voodoo' about design that makes it inherently a non-community
> activity (but I am truly sick of people saying it's so.)

> [...]

Olpc mailing list
olpc-open at laptop.org