a call to action [Fwd: LWN headline: Blame Fedora = High Praise]

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Apr 12 07:05:59 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 10:44 +0800, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:

> I think we spread the word enough its just people choose not to listen.
> Without actually placing it on their desktop and making a user click 'I
> understand this contains no propietary software' I don't know what else
> needs to be done.

Codec Buddy is a great step/improvement here.  I like the idea of
confronting the situation head-on, proactively.  Pages on the Wiki and
pointing at them after someone complains is reactive.

Now I want a t-shirt that says:

"Fedora - protect yourself from mental slavery"

> Is there enough information relating to fedora as to how to bypass the
> propietary codecs etc.. and use open source alternatives?

Nope.  What can we do for people?  What can we offer them that is
useful?

* Hosted app that converts FOO format into Ogg
* More original content in Ogg format
* Cross-platform Ogg playing from Firefox
* Approach recording artists who might be sympathetic (sort of like Cory
Doctorow is for writing)
* Others?

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project