a call to action [Fwd: LWN headline: Blame Fedora = High Praise]

Herman Meester crazymulgogi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 13:13:16 UTC 2007

2007/4/12, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com>:

> Karsten Wade wrote:
> > In the article referenced below there is an (implied) call to action for
> > Fedora:
> >
> > "One might well wonder why certain Fedora users feel the need to repeat
> > these complaints so often. Perhaps the project is not doing an adequate
> > job of communicating what it is trying to do. One assumes that, if
> > people understood what Fedora is, they would not complain about it not
> > being something it can never be."
>
> I would tend to believe that is more the result of a tradeoff between
> convenience and sticking to a distribution's moral and/or ethical
> standpoint. For example, till the time Intel Graphics cards became the
> flavor of the month the company was clubbed in the same evil circle as
> NVidia or even ATI. But with time and sufficient effort invested by
> Intel and the distributions, things have changed. This means that an
> average home user can be asked to get a system that provides reasonable
> bling and yet not have to install binary bl0bs to get them.
>
> A tendency to howl in pain saying "Fedora sucks" had been around since
> the time the mp3 support was withdrawn. The "blame Fedora" is more to do
> with "it works in F00 Distribution so why can't you". The only way to
> counter this is perhaps keep on spreading the message through as many
> means we can - blogs, Ambassadors being among the well trod ones.
>
> :Sankarshan

Some people are ready for Fedora/Linux, others just want an alternative for
Windows.
I can't understand why people keep *demanding* things like binary blobs to
work out of the box.
Let's tell these people, this is free software. Are you ready for it? If
not, what are you complaining about?
Codec Buddy is more than enough.

Or is Fedora as desperate as Ubuntu to get as many users it can possibly
have?
I don't think/hope so.
And I don't think Fedora will benefit from that.

Yes, I admit, I did install Flash 9 on my F7 test 3 machine.
Suprisingly, Firefox 2 now installs, even on Linux, Flash 9 when you click
on the "missing plugin - download plugin" button. I tried that just to
check, and it even worked.
No way to escape the proprietary anyway. ;)
So let the users install whatever they want on their systems, as long as
Fedora can be 'shipped' as 100% free (as in speech) software.

rgrdz, Herman