How to compete against Ubuntu

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Aug 2 18:46:57 UTC 2007

Markus McLaughlin <hudsonman35 at gmail.com> wrote:
> How to take on Ubuntu - Idea #1
>  ... cut ...
> It is very important to get MORE exposure so Ubuntu will
> want to compete on that level too.

As I've stated before ...

I left the commerceware, let alone hostageware, world because of
stuff like this.  I really don't care for it in the freedomware
world.  ;)

There is a difference between "marketing and expanding" the Fedora
user base and marketing "against" software.

Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip at kanarip.com> wrote:
> It's not about who gets the bigger userbase.
> It's not about who gets the most users off Windows.
> It's not about who gets the most exposure.

Oh so true.

Markus McLaughlin <hudsonman35 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Save Our Fedora From Ubuntu!!!

Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip at kanarip.com> wrote:
> And Fedora is not getting killed by Ubuntu either.

I honestly don't think Mr. McLaughlin just realizes what he said
(regardless of whether it is true or not).

Furthermore, clearly playing devil's advocate, there is no reason to
"save" any distro against another.  Distros will be adopted or not
adopted on their merits and/or usefulness for users and
organizations.

I use Fedora.
I use Gentoo.
I use Xubuntu.

Not losing any sleep over any distro that needs "saving" or marketing
"against" any other.

--
Bryan J. Smith   Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org    http://thebs413.blogspot.com