thinking about the Fedora brand (WARNING: this is for you)

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Fri Aug 3 15:59:11 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram escribió:
> Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:
>

>> Fedora.  Leading by example.
>>
>> Fedora.  Leaders of the Free World.
>>
>> Can we do it in five words?  :)
>>

> Leading by example doesn't say what kind of example we are trying to
> set.  "Free world" is a bit too vague too and a bit amusing with the
> patents on software situation.
>
> "Leading Free Software" can be interpreted to mean that we are leading
> the advancement of Free software or we are leaders in Free software. I
> like both these meanings.
>
> The only problem I can see is free vs gratis confusion in that. If you
> want to try another angle
>
> "Leading Software Freedom"
> "Leading Software Libre"
>
> How is that any different from one of those FSF endorsed
> distributions? Do end users care enough about the Free software aspect
> of it?  I don't want us to be struck on debates on definitions of
> freedom forever either.
>
> Rahul

I like both of the last corrections you made:

"Fedora: Leading Software Freedom"

The other, "Leading Software Libre" is not bad either, but the first, I
think, has an implicit empowerment of "freedom", while the later only
describes the situation of the Software (as "libre" or "free"
["liberated"])... MY personal opinion, though.