How to compete against Ubuntu

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 6 20:14:08 UTC 2007

Greg Dekoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com> wrote:
> Mostly I agree, but one note here: if there is one group to whom we
> should be more aggressively "marketing", it is to potential
> contributors.  Fedora needs to be more about contributors, and
> therefore making the lives of contributors easier.

Oh, just realized the obviousness of that truth!  Man, even I got
"too focused" on solely "user base" before you pointed that out.  ;)

BTW, I recently had an off-list e-mail and realized history was
partially repeating itself.  I went back to my archives from 1999
and, especially, 2000-2003.  Then I saw the same pattern.

- New off-shoot distro gains fan-fare, "better than Red Hat"
- New off-shoot distro offers major, commercial support
- Off-shoot distro strays too far from original, stable base
- Off-shoot distro as trouble maintaining updates, upgrades,
development after its 4th release and fork away from original, stable
base
- Off-shoot distro has lay-offs, drops several support offerings
- Off-shoot distro starts merging with other distro companies

Last time I checked recently, PCLinux OS is still "picking up the
pieces" of all that.  ;)

--
Bryan J. Smith   Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org    http://thebs413.blogspot.com