2007 Desktop Linux Survey

Marc Wiriadisastra marc at mwiriadi.id.au
Sun Aug 26 10:57:15 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-marketing-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:fedora-marketing-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Rahul
Sundaram
Sent: Sunday, 26 August 2007 10:50 AM
To: For discussions about marketing and expanding the Fedora user base
Subject: Re: 2007 Desktop Linux Survey

Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> Has anyone been keeping an eye on specific desktop use?  Not just in
Fedora
> but across the board.  The 2007 Linux Survey was released with some
> interesting results.
>

> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8454912761.html
>
> "The Red Hat/Fedora family -- which this year includes CentOS -- came in
at
> the fourth spot with 9 percent. This represents a small loss from last
year
> when Fedora had 7 percent, while Red Hat added in a mere 2.2 percent, for
> total, including smaller Red Hat/Fedora-based distributions of less than
10
> percent."

This is the results of the online survey of 38.000 users asking for
their desktop/laptop usage. There are some odd results such as Gentoo
being on 7% while Mandriva not showing up much at all.

I wasn't even aware they were doing a survey earlier. Interesting
results nevertheless. The usage of thunderbird and virtualbox for example.

Rahul

I would have to agree that there were some anomalies in the results which
they openly admit to which is good.  It's dependant on the users knowing
about it and not knowing about it.
I was surprised by KDE being as popular as it is for example.  Thunderbird
and Virtualbox as well (I've never heard of Virtualbox till that article).
Bit of looking around shows Virtualbox having a GPL or LGPL license is there
any chance of adding it to Fedora?

Cheers,

Marc