How to compete against Ubuntu

Chitlesh GOORAH chitlesh at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 3 07:28:19 UTC 2007

On 8/2/07, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> It's not about who gets the bigger userbase.
> It's not about who gets the most users off Windows.
> It's not about who gets the most exposure.
> And Fedora is not getting killed by Ubuntu either.

Hello,
I tend to agree with Jeroen van Meeuwen's words. However even some
Ubuntu evangelists don't understand this.

Take for example, during the last European events, Fedora was open for
talks with Centos and OpenSuse and do have good relations with them.
In the upcoming events, I'm sure it will still be like that.

As for fedora marketing, many consider fedora as a distribution like
others and tend to ignore * what fedora project really is
* what are the goals of fedora project
* and what it produces and what are the products.

Fedora has some beauties inside that aren't well publicized, e.g
Fedora Directory Server, Xen, OLPC, aiglx, Fedora Artwork (whose
status is just getting better and better), the idea behind smolt,
revisor, a community, TRANSPARENCY (does anyone else have it, without
internal fights?? ) ... the list goes on !!!

All these to say, that if you really understand the Fedora Project,
you will see there is no other reasons to compete directly with other
distributions.

I like the idea of spreading the word about fedora in the daily life
of all humans. Because I personally don't like windows users to
consider ubuntu = linux, as that would underrate fedora contributors'
contribution. But direct competition (which is good or which is bad)
isn't the right way.

regards,
Chitlesh
--