thinking about the Fedora brand (WARNING: this is for you)

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 3 14:56:18 UTC 2007

Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:

> Fedora.  Leading by example.
>
> Fedora.  Leaders of the Free World.
>
> Can we do it in five words?  :)

Leading by example doesn't say what kind of example we are trying to
set.  "Free world" is a bit too vague too and a bit amusing with the
patents on software situation.

"Leading Free Software" can be interpreted to mean that we are leading
the advancement of Free software or we are leaders in Free software. I
like both these meanings.

The only problem I can see is free vs gratis confusion in that. If you
want to try another angle

"Leading Software Freedom"
"Leading Software Libre"

How is that any different from one of those FSF endorsed distributions?
Do end users care enough about the Free software aspect of it?  I don't
want us to be struck on debates on definitions of freedom forever either.