Fedora's mid-life crisis

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Aug 5 14:43:41 UTC 2007

Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:

> I would have thought that the Fedora Board would have considered that
> question and possibly answered it in their own heads.

It doesn't work that way. When you involve volunteers top down control
is ineffective even if you bring in some balance with a elected model.
In effect, there needs to consensus within the project on some direction.

.  Now people can say it's aimed
> at devs but to me it seems like Fedora is very strong in the server market
> but on the desktop side of things it doesn't go all the way.  Leaving Codecs
> out of it cause to me that's irrelevant.

Servers usually need a longer lifecyle to be effective though and codecs
are a important factor in what you consider a desktop but true we are
not going to be doing proprietary codecs by default.

> So I suppose it's back to the question who is Fedora targeting as an
> audience?  Should Fedora separate out certain aspects to cater to certain
> areas?  Like coming up with ideas for desktop enhancements and a group for
> Server enhancements.  With the Live-CD's I believe that's a HUGE step in the
> right direction.

Right. Live images are a good first step. There has been a number of
discussions on the steps forward. We will have to explore and see.
Nobody has all the answers.