linuxglobe media disc proposal -- don't forget UFRaw, Cinepaint and plug-ins ...

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Aug 9 17:16:01 UTC 2007

John Mackay <mackay3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Scribus, Inkscape, Gimp, and Agave are pretty good apps.

Don't forget UFRaw, Cinepaint and various GIMP and other plug-ins.

One of the most excellent features I have in Fedora 7 now, that I do
_not_ have under Windows Explorer, is that Nautilus thumbnails my
12-bit channel depth PEF (Pentax RAW Format) files.  I don't know
exactly which plug-in it is, or if it's Nautilus itself, but I'm sure
it works for a wide variety of 12 and 16-bit channel formats.  Being
able to browse right on the media, or in any GTK+/GNOME application
that leverages the same Nautilus libraries, is just beautiful.

You'll want to add Cinepaint as well.  The GIMP's 8-bit channel depth
doesn't cut it for even novice photographers like myself, much less
amateur or professionals.

--
Bryan J. Smith   Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org    http://thebs413.blogspot.com