Discontent with LiveContent

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue Aug 28 06:34:15 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>
> A review of the creative commons live content image derived from Fedora
> 7. Should we be happy for the praise on Fedora 7 artwork or unhappy
> about the criticism that the derivative didn't tool well atleast in the
> eyes of the reviewer? Jack, you might want to take a look.
>
> http://www.linux.com/feature/118750

Back  when the LiveContent CD was released I intended to write on my own
blog a small *positive* review (got busy with some personal things,
delayed a few days and considered is already too late and scratched the
idea). So of course I disagree with the reviewer on *many* points.

In my opinion the biggest weakness of the CD is its small amount of
content included, this is the most important point for a "Content" CD.
And I think I understand the cause: the disk was co-developed by
Worldlabel.com, which has a business around OpenOffice.org. If
OpenOffice.org would be removed from the disk, then *a lot* of space can
be freed for actual content.

Bruce say in his review "the welcome page begins by repeating the vague
rhetoric of the project wiki" - this is so easy to fix, just change the
wording in the wiki, this is why it is a wiki.

I do not agree with the critic of not having Evolution installed, this
is a CD about content not for general use on the desktop. If the user
install it on the hard drive he can easily do an "yum install
thunderbird" or "yum install evolution" (the CD does not have pirut,
otherwise it would be even easier).

I didn't look at the final 1.0 but only at a release candidate, so I may
not be 100% correct, but as an Open Clip Art Library developer I
specifically looked for it on the CD and definitely the browsing
interface was in the pre-installed Firefox bookmarks so I see no reason
to complain about that. Yes, it would be nicer to have the content
available for offline use, but I can understand: 1) there is not enough
space on the disc for +100MB of clipart images because of OpenOffice.org
and 2) we (OCAL) failed for quite some time to produce a proper
up-to-date package.

One thingI didn't like was the link to blip.tv, where the user can
access CC licensed content but can't use it from the LiveContent CD
because the content in in Flash format...

> "Nor, unfortunately, does the LiveContent customization do much to
> inspire industry. The default Fedora 7 wallpaper, with its air-brushed
> armada of balloons ascending to the moon above clouds and mountains, may
> not be to everybody's taste, but at least it is unquestionably
> professional. However, LiveContent has replaced it with a lifeless
> gray-green design of its own with the unhelpful slogan "share, remix,
> reuse" and the Creative Commons URL."

I don't agree even here: in fact I kind of liked the look, it was clean
and simple (and I like "lifeless gray-green", colors which fit the theme
used in the CC buttons available all over the web, see [1]).
Of course it has to use something different than the Fedora blue and
Fedora imagery, as it is not Fedora but a derivative distro.

[1] - http://i.creativecommons.org/l/by-sa/3.0/us/88x31.png