Discontent with LiveContent

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Tue Aug 28 06:26:16 UTC 2007

Nicu Buculei escribió:
> Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
>>
>> Why not make a LiveDVD, then? DVD's would be much more suited for
>> "media" and "content" oriented LiveDisk projects. Granted not
>> everyone has access to highspeed internet connections to download and
>> burn these images, but a distribution channel I'm sure could be set
>> up. Even in a DVD there's room for all of OOo with all and its
>> lang-packs (so every language the distro supports also has a
>> corresponding OOo language and resource... Not to mention it opens up
>> the possibility to include so much more content (video, audio,
>> writings, pictures, etc)
>
> I don't know why CC used the CD format, I believe they wanted to reach
> the largest possible audience (more people can read CD than DVD). I
> suspect the connection speed was not the main concern and the main
> distribution channel for that disc is physical media.

I see... However, with the recent prices on DVD drives, there's
virtually no excuse for many computer users to have one... except maybe
laptop users whose laptops were shipped with CD drives. No
justification, I know, but at least it *is* very cheap to get a DVD drive.

>> Doesn't it include GNASH? The latest release supports rather well
>> video playback from on-line sources such as YouTube and GoogleVideo,
>> it'd only make sense to make sure it also played nice with the video
>> player on the sites the Disk links to... Or at least let the Gnash
>> developers know of these so they could broaden their test cases.
>
> Gnash using ffmpeg? You know ffmpeg is not allowed in Fedora...

I know, though I find it rather funny for CC content to not be available
in free formats, but that's just me, I'm sure. But since that's the
case, why even link to those, then? The users won't be able to view them
anyway...