Distrowatch on Fedora this year

Sudheer Satyanarayana sudheer.s at binaryvibes.co.in
Mon Dec 17 17:59:59 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Christopher Aillon wrote:
>>> It wouldn't be a burden to tell the world that we are doing what we
>>> are doing then. One simple way to do this it to just blog more
>>> often. Our engineers do that sometimes but way less than ideal.
>>
>> NURRRRRR.  BZZZZZT.  WRONG WRONG WRONG.
>>
>> If an engineer happens to take time out of their busy lives, and time
>> away from doing awesome feature work for Fedora 9, then consider it a
>> bonus.  Expecting this from any engineer is just insane.

If engineers start blogging(more) it would definitely be a big bonus to
the community. But expecting them to do so is really not insane.
> I completely disagree. Other distributions have done a fairly good job
> in marketing themselves via developers and it is critically important
> to their successes. The community can't create the buzz for them if
> they don't know such features exist in the first place which is
> frequently the case with Fedora.
>
> Kickstart the effort initially and others can pick it up once they
> realize that the features exist and what benefits it brings. Feature
> process is one way to do it. Blogging is another. We have big gaps in
> either. I am happy to hear other ideas to improve the situation though.
>
> Rahul

Some engineers might need the extra push. Engineers who are already
blogging can probably consider writing more about features. This will
sure help others learn more about the features. Digging out the
developers' views might add a different dimension altogether.

Just my two cents.

--
Thanks and regards,

Sudheer Satyanarayana