Distrowatch on Fedora this year

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Mon Dec 17 18:49:55 UTC 2007

On 12/17/2007 07:24 PM, John Poelstra wrote:
> Christopher Aillon said the following on 12/17/2007 09:27 AM Pacific Time:

>>> It wouldn't be a burden to tell the world that we are doing what we
>>> are doing then. One simple way to do this it to just blog more often.
>>> Our engineers do that sometimes but way less than ideal.
>>
>> NURRRRRR.  BZZZZZT.  WRONG WRONG WRONG.
>>
>> If an engineer happens to take time out of their busy lives, and time
>> away from doing awesome feature work for Fedora 9, then consider it a
>> bonus.  Expecting this from any engineer is just insane.
>
> Even if it would be helpful?

It would also be helpful if everyone filed bugs with patches.  :-)

Thing is, there's helpful, and there's expecting it.  It's nice when
someone does the blogging thing.  I'll agree 100%.  I'm very much
against the notion some people have that when people aren't, the
developers are lazy or not doing their jobs or whatever.

It's not really a secret that many hackers have some social
dysfunctions.  Some don't feel comfortable with their grammar.  Some
people really feel it's not their job to write articles.  Or just don't
have the ability to turn a paragraph into something that sounds awesome.
  I've seen some really lousy marketing done by people who are PAID to
do marketing.

But engineers do provide updates, on the feature pages.  And they will
answer questions if asked on IRC.  I think it would be great if the
community reached out to the engineers, since the engineers are reaching
out to the community by way of the code they write.  Find one on IRC,
ask about your favorite project.  Tell him you'd like to blog about it.
  Maybe do an interview.

Keep in mind that if you expect just the engineers to blog about it,
we're limiting our contributor base, and we're limiting our marketing
efforts to "when an engineer has time".  We have a lot of smart people
in the community and project, and they can help spread the word just as
well as an engineer can.