Fedora more successful, developer-wise, than Ubuntu

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Mon Dec 24 23:35:55 UTC 2007

Jon Stanley wrote:
>> The Fedora Project moves in with EPEL, Extra Packages for Enterprise
>> Linux, perfectly suitable for a CentOS machine and with the same release
>> and 'support' cycle.
>
> Not entirely sure what you mean here.  I think what was being called
> for was a release whereby it's "supported" (with security updates,
> etc) beyond the current 1 year, however perhaps not as much as the 7
> years that RHEL is supported.

EPEL is a Fedora Project effort for Enterprise Linux providing extra
packages and updates to those packages for the same amount of time the
Enterprise Linux distribution it ships for is supported. I don't really
know what their policy is on actively back-porting fixes for security
issues, but as far as I know you can at least log bugs again an EPEL
package until the end of the release's lifecycle.

> However, as Matthew said in the e-mail that came in as I was writing
> this, there was little interest in Fedora Legacy when it existed.
> What makes us think that there's more of a demand now?  It's either
> the short, bleeding edge release cycle of Fedora as we know it, or the
> long release cycle of RHEL.  Both serve different purposes.

Yes, and the shorter release cycle for Fedora -at least in my opinion-
helps us to do what we do best, moving forward, not "wasting" resources
to what Enterprise Linux does best, being stable.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip