Distrowatch on Fedora this year

Davidson Rodrigues Paulo davidsonpaulo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 15:48:43 UTC 2007

2007/12/17, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org>:
> "But despite all these positives, the distribution still fails to
> attract first-time Linux users who sometimes complain about the lack of
> a central configuration utility or the overly technical nature of the
> operating system."

I agree with the lack of a central configuration utility. Personally I
don't miss it, but I have to admit that is not a good thing to have
system configuration utilities placed in different locations.

A good approach to solve this problem in my point of view is the
system-config-control[1] utility, an interface to launch all the
system-config-* utilities.

 [1] http://www.indianoss.org/modules/wfdownloads/viewcat.php?cid=10

Despite of this, I don't think Fedora overly technical, what happens
is documentation is focused in CLI tools. You never see any doc saying
"Click Applications, Add/Remove Software, go to Search tab, type
"program", check to install the program and click Apply", but "Type #
yum install program" instead. So, a new (end) user refering to our
documentation will ever think "Ouch! How many commands! Much
complicated for me..."

Regards,

Davidson Paulo
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DavidsonPaulo