Distrowatch on Fedora this year

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Mon Dec 17 18:24:26 UTC 2007

Christopher Aillon said the following on 12/17/2007 09:27 AM Pacific Time:
> On 12/17/2007 05:43 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Christopher Aillon wrote:
>>>
>>> Then we need people to tell the world.  Our engineers should not have
>>> to hold this burden.  They are doing an awesome job with coding up
>>> all the features.
>>
>> It wouldn't be a burden to tell the world that we are doing what we
>> are doing then. One simple way to do this it to just blog more often.
>> Our engineers do that sometimes but way less than ideal.
>
> NURRRRRR.  BZZZZZT.  WRONG WRONG WRONG.
>
> If an engineer happens to take time out of their busy lives, and time
> away from doing awesome feature work for Fedora 9, then consider it a
> bonus.  Expecting this from any engineer is just insane.

Even if it would be helpful?

> The ideal situation is we have people that care about Fedora that may
> not necessarily be technical that will create buzz for the engineers who
> don't necessarily have perfect verbal/hype skills.  These are two
> completely different skill sets.  Don't confuse them.

This isn't a viable solution.

How will these not-so-technical people get this information without the
help of a mind-reading module?  If you assert that less technical people
fill this role it is not reasonable to expect them to read source code
and change logs.  If you aren't willing to communicate with them, how
can they get this information?

Many of the developers have done a great job creating feature pages and
these help a lot... I realize we share a different opinion on the value
of the feature pages :)

John