Distrowatch on Fedora this year

Laith Juwaidah ljuwaida at fedoraproject.org
Mon Dec 17 19:12:18 UTC 2007

I did talk about a review in Linux Format with some members in the devel
channel, it had the same complain: No central configuration tool. They all
said that System > Preferences is good enough.

Well, it doesn't really matter for me if there is a central configuration tool
or not, and I'm sure it doesn't to any of you, but it does for Linux new
commers, they might not like to delve in menus and try each and every option
to see what it does, they probably just want to configure their systems.

Look at Kubuntu (which I, honestly, would advise to any Linux new commer) it
has a configuration tool, they even removed kcontrol from KDE menu (which I
don't think is a good thing), but the idea is that they do, you can configure
wine from there (mentioning wine, I installed it today, and it messed my root
filesystem, Fedora didn't boot, it tried to run fsck but it failed, I got the
resque prompt, I had to run fsck manually and answer questions that would
just freak new comers out (though, all the answers were yes :P)).

All distros have the System > Preferences menu, yet, they have a central
configuration menu, if that is what users want, why don't we give it to them?
We can make it a package by itself so that those who don't want it can remove
it!

I really don't see the point, we want more people to use Fedora, yet, we're
not giving them what they want/are asking for, after all, the customer (user)
is always right!

Cheers!
--
Laith Juwaidah