Where to go with marketing next?!

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Mon Dec 17 21:49:50 UTC 2007

Thanks for the writeup!

On 12/17/2007 08:19 PM, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> So, in summary: digg more, try and focus our efforts together a bit more
> if possible (i.e. FWN CMS or something similar), and pick up the work of
> picking out features and builiding press for them earlier in the release
> cycles.
>
> What do peole think? What ever you think, I think we should "just do it"
> and become pragmatists! Here are some of my immediate thoughts in longer
> form:

Yes, please.  Just Do It.  Seriously.  I think we can all get behind a
better marketing effort.  More importantly, having a focus and set goals
is good.

> What we're doing less well:
>
>  - Getting stories about Fedora out to the press as a whole (I know
> there's been some threads about this, particularly with regard to
> working with Red Hat to get more press releases done)

Hope this gets done.

>  - "viral" marketing: would be cool to see Fedora turning up in more
> people's blogs and more on places like Digg and Slashdot
>  - Not enough talk to with developers
>
> How we can improve immediately over the coming months:
>
>  - There's talk of setting up some kind of CMS for FWN that will allow
> comments, regular blog posts etc? I think this would be awesome, as
> although the weekly summaries as they are rock, one place where we can
> post interviews, news as it emerges, weekly summaries would generate a
> lot more buzz than it being spread out all over - I think.
>
>  - The above is useless if we don't do more to talk with developers and
> find out what we should be talking about! Maybe if we accept that they
> might not want to blog etc and just monitor feature pages, chat/e-mail
> developers regularly when the feature pages show something worthwhile
> talking about!

This is something that I strongly feel will provide a large amount of
value.  Sitting down an putting one's thoughts in a clear and easy to
read manner is sometimes difficult, as you noted earlier.  I believe
that people want to tell people about how awesome XYZ is, but maybe
aren't sure how.  Helping out in this way is great because it will help
put these thoughts down in a way for others to consume, hopefully
increase the number of people participating, and strengthen the
relationship between community members.

>  - Places like Digg and Slashdot are community based, they have the idea
> that you'll want to digg stories similar to your friends - i.e. other
> Fedora users. We should try and make better use of this and put out more
> shouts and submit more Fedora related stories :D All the stuff that we
> get sent to the marketing-list about Fedora in the news, we should be
> digging these stories as well (heh, at least the positive ones!)

And maybe some blogs pointing to the stories, too.

Exciting stuff!