Fedora more successful, developer-wise, than Ubuntu

Mukul Dharwadkar mukul.dharwadkar at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 18:40:21 UTC 2007

It's really going to be very hard if we still continue to measure our
success on popularity in Developer community. Although it is a good thing to
be accepted by Developers, the true measure of success is the acceptance by
the user community in which, I am sorry to say, Ubuntu beats Fedora hands
down. Coincidentally, I just blogged about this yesterday.

http://www.dharwadkar.com/weblog/desktop_linux/view

We have to come up with ways to make sure that Linux in general and
specifically Fedora becomes the OS of choice. It's a large market out there
and we can make it if we get our priorities right.

regards,
Mukul

On 12/20/07, Zhukov Pavel <gelios at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 20, 2007 4:12 PM, Marc Wiriadisastra <marc at mwiriadi.id.au> wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 16:06 +0300, Zhukov Pavel wrote:
> > > >

> http://www.bytebot.net/blog/archives/2007/12/18/fedora-more-successful-developer-wise-than-ubuntu

> see
> numbers

> > > Fedora project managed by RH. It means strict roadmap, defined
> > > chekpoints, clear release cycle.
> > > Debian on the other hand, fully community driven. no checkpoints, no
> > > erelease cycle, no "head": Debian Project Leader have very limited
> > > premissions.
> > >

> > I disagree while Fedora project is sponsored by RH the majority of the
> > contributors are from the community.  Max blogged about this the other
> > day if I remember correctly.
> >
> > I'm not to sure what the definition of a community project is but I
> > would have thought more than 50% constitutes a community project?
> >
> > My point related mainly to developer-wise which translates to packagers
> > and docs I think.
> >

> > Cheers,
> >
> > Marc
> >
> > --
> >

> by "Community driven" i mean that roadmap and other major decisions
> defined by community using voting or other procedures.

Smile!!! :) It improves your face value...

Visit me at
http://www.dharwadkar.com
http://www.dharwadkar.org
Sister Site: