[Fedora-marketing-list] Re: Red Hat's Fedora to Get Longer Support

hymno3 crazymulgogi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 09:37:49 UTC 2007

Fedora!
/me agrees too, Fedora Linux doesn't sound good.
"Fedora" is just fine, as a *name*. Apart from using that name,
marketing bla can add all kinds of subtitles. ;) Such as "Fedora: a
(GNU/)Linux operating system", "Fedora, your open source computing
environment", whatever.

Some arguments:

a) The "linux" in Fedora is not that different from the "Linux" in other
distros; the difference Fedora makes is in other things.

b) People using Fedora will "see" Fedora: its logos, its choice of
software, its installer, its package manager, its artwork. They will not
see Linux.

c) Other successful Linux OSes are often used, and their official names
are, without the word "Linux" attached to it, although people know it's
"Linux inside". Take Ubuntu, Slackware, Gentoo. Except for "Suse Linux"
which is more often used together (but Opensuse is not "Opensuse Linux"
either).

d) By avoiding either "Fedora Linux" or "Fedora GNU/Linux",
quasi-religious Stallman vs. Torvalds type wars will be avoided, which
is a good thing. Waste of time.

e) "Fedora Linux" would imply that in Fedora it is not possible to
permit the theoretical use of another type of kernel. Solaris, BSD, it's
all free software. Who knows what the future will bring? Linux will be
around for a long time, but it's a strange world.

f) "Fedora" already *is* the name most people give to Fedora. Language
works like that, you can't superimpose names on names that are already
used widely. Three syllables is a perfect amount of syllables. :)

g) "Linux" is a trademark that is not owned by Fedora. This will not
create a problem likely, since Linus Torvalds doesn't put much energy in
protecting his trademark, but you never can tell. It's better to just be
completely *independent*.

h) Especially in Japan and Korea, "Fedora Linux" is a bit nasty to
pronounce (Pedorarinuksu - two r's, unpoetic ;) ). And that's a huge
market for computers and sotware.

For what it's worth.

regards,
Herman