How’s Fedora 7 Faring?

Marc Wiriadisastra marc at mwiriadi.id.au
Mon Jul 16 16:27:48 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 07:05 -0600, Clint Savage wrote:
> Nicu Buculei wrote:
> > Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >>
> >> The statistics pages have more details but the uptake is pretty good
> >> so far. The smolt data is also pretty interesting.
> >>

> >> http://www.press.redhat.com/2007/07/03/hows-fedora-7-faring/
> >
> > So anyone tries to speculate why F7 installs are at about 80% of the
> > previous FC6 installs? Summer is not a good time when people update
> > their distro? Is Fedora market share shrinking? Was FC6 such a good
> > distro people hesitate to upgrade from?
> > I would give myself a boring reply along the lines of "only two
> > releases is not enough data to draw a conclusion about trends" but I
> > also would like a bit of speculation.
> >
> Nicu,
>
> I, for one, am not seeing this result in my little world, although the
> statistics say its less adopted than FC6.   As part of my job, I
> interact with 40-50 of people a month as a technical instructor.  I
> casually state that I am a big Open Source guy and indeed a Fedora
> Ambassador.  I offer up the LiveCDs and the DVDs regularly and they are
> snatched up amazingly fast.  I think GNU/Linux (Fedora in this case) has
> always been a grass roots effort, and I've been treating it as such.
> The grass and roots have just gotten bigger.

I know a lot of people haven't upgraded if they have ATI cards.  The
state of the ati drivers is horrible however the opensource drivers are
improving.

I wouldn't say that is the only reason however I would say thats a
contributing factor.

FC6 was very stable and while there are a few hickups with bugs thats
always the case then by the end of the release fedora 7 will be stable
and it will be back at square one.

My $0.02

Marc