How’s Fedora 7 Faring?

Clint Savage herlo at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jul 13 13:05:35 UTC 2007

Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>
>> The statistics pages have more details but the uptake is pretty good
>> so far. The smolt data is also pretty interesting.
>>

>> http://www.press.redhat.com/2007/07/03/hows-fedora-7-faring/
>
> So anyone tries to speculate why F7 installs are at about 80% of the
> previous FC6 installs? Summer is not a good time when people update
> their distro? Is Fedora market share shrinking? Was FC6 such a good
> distro people hesitate to upgrade from?
> I would give myself a boring reply along the lines of "only two
> releases is not enough data to draw a conclusion about trends" but I
> also would like a bit of speculation.

Nicu,

I, for one, am not seeing this result in my little world, although the
statistics say its less adopted than FC6.   As part of my job, I
interact with 40-50 of people a month as a technical instructor.  I
casually state that I am a big Open Source guy and indeed a Fedora
Ambassador.  I offer up the LiveCDs and the DVDs regularly and they are
snatched up amazingly fast.  I think GNU/Linux (Fedora in this case) has
always been a grass roots effort, and I've been treating it as such.
The grass and roots have just gotten bigger.

Cheers,

Clint