Red Hat Launches New Package Repository for Enterprise Linux

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Sun Jul 29 22:16:03 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram escribió:
> Hi
>

> It is a Fedora Project rather than a Red Hat specific effort but good
> to get the word out.
>
> http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/application/10941/red-hat-launches-new-package-repository-enterprise-linux
>

> "Red Hat has launched a new package repository for enterprise-class
> Linux (EL) distributions derived from Fedora, such as Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux or CentOS, called EPEL. Extra Packages for Enterprise
> Linux (EPEL) is a community of package maintainers working from inside
> of Fedora"
>
> Rahul

I was reading about this in the Announce ML and thought it was pretty
cool, actually. This is *exactly* what Red Hat and CentOS were missing.
Now they only have to issue an update batch where they also include as
dependencies the required packages to configure these extra repositories
in the deployed and supported distributions so users would have to do
zero to very little configuration and start using these packages.