Fedora Project Sign for GITEX Demo Pod

John Babich jmbabich at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 06:44:59 UTC 2007

On 7/30/07, Thomas Chung <tchung at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> (Forwarding message from JoergSimon)

I believe Joerg is referring to this paragraph:

"You represent Fedora, not Red Hat

This is pretty simple. You represent the Fedora Project, which is
sponsored by Red Hat. You do not represent Red Hat. If someone is
interested in RHEL, please put them in touch with a local Red Hat
sales engineer. If you need help with that, ask JonFautley. Even
though you may believe that Fedora is perfection, you should not
insult any other project or product. "

I agree 100% with this paragraph.

I see two scenarios:

Scenario #1: Fedora Project is at an Open Source Conference (such as OSCON)

This is crystal-clear. The Fedora Project is the Fedora Project. Period.

Scenario #2: Fedora Project is sharing Red Hat exhibition space with
Red Hat at an ICT commercial exhibition  (such as GITEX)

The Fedora Project is clearly sponsored by Red Hat. The Fedora Project
is mostly autonomous, but not 100% disconnected from Red Hat. As
stated on the main page of the wiki:

"The Fedora Project is a collection of projects sponsored by Red Hat,
and developed as a partnership between the open source community and
Red Hat engineers".

In a professional IT setting, such as an ICT exhibition, where the
Fedora Project is sharing expensive exhibition space with Red Hat,
through the generosity of Red Hat, I think it is appropriate to openly
acknowledge Red Hat's sponsorship. In fact, it is a big advantage for
an ICT professional to know that the Fedora Project has the clear
support of the leading commercial Linux company, Red Hat.

At the same time, I plan to clearly identify myself as a Fedoran,
since I am not an employee of Red Hat. (A Fedora shirt would be nice).
To do otherwise would be deceptive and misleading. If someone asks a
Red Hat marketing question (or a technical question for that matter),
I will definitely refer them to the Red Hat people sharing the space
with me.

As for the demo pod poster and literature, I also feel it is
appropriate in this context to include the Red Hat logo to reinforce
the connection between the Fedora Project and Red Hat, which is a
positive association.

Best Regards,

John Babich
Volunteer, Fedora Project