Red Hat Launches New Package Repository for Enterprise Linux

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Jul 30 12:55:18 UTC 2007

> Good thing you aren't and Daniel Riek is ;-).

I'm just an outsider.  I have no idea what Red Hat's foci are.  I can
only make ignorant assumptions.  ;)

> Seriously though, the SLA might be a hurdle and this is one of the
> reasons I clarified it in the EPEL FAQ and some notes can be added
> within the repository file and other places too.

I know.  At the same time, if I was a Red Hat consultant on client site,
I wouldn't have to deal with the pressure of a SLA only to find out
there was breakage caused by EPEL.  I'm not saying EPEL will "break,"
but from the "anal power," there is that "risk."

I'm not trying to knock the outstanding work of the greater Fedora
Project, of which I have been signing praises for a long, long time --
ever since Red Hat Linux 10 Beta became Fedora [1] Test.  I'm a
well-known Red Hat apologist (and Novell apologist, etc... -- much to my
own demise at the hands of some very unethical people and illegal
actions).

> With the current state, EPEL has low visibility for RHEL users and we
> will be discussing that with product management folks.

Understand.  Sorry if my commentary caused you any grief or issues on
your end.

--
Bryan J. Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com