Red Hat Launches New Package Repository for Enterprise Linux

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Jul 31 12:22:10 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 22:01 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> Well, we know this happens anyway, just people are pulling (and
> rebuilding) packages from all sorts of random locations.

Oh, I wholly agree this is drastically improved.  The Fedora standards
and processes are much, much better than your typical "oh, it built"
attitude of select RPMForge/3rd Party repositories.

> EPEL is actually a great way for a consultant to help a company get a
> desired package available.  One of the reasons for this "standard job
> description":
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/PackageMaintainer/GenericJobDescription

An EPEL package could become stale or otherwise cause an update to fail,
etc...  Especially if it is a dependency for another EPEL package that
is still being maintained, etc...

Now I understand there are no "alternative" packages to what is in RHEL
and no RHEL package can be replaced or dependent on a EPEL package.  But
there's still that issue.

--
Bryan J. Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com