Linux.org: The Feodra 7 Year Itch

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Jun 21 22:51:08 UTC 2007

Sorry, FUD.

1.  The Debian (and DCC) and Fedora (and RHEL) release models are not comparable.  Some of us have been Debian maintainers and we'll be the first to tell you that.  ;)

2.  Fedora is quite stable for production use, especially in an environment with AFS or NFS and other UNIX infrastructure. A lot of that has to do with Fedora's focus on enterprise features.

3.  The release model for Fedora was _already_proven_ by no less than 15 Red Hat Linux releases. It remains unchanged now. The "release often" model is not an issue, it's a requirement of the lifecycle.

Why oh why do people have to compare Fedora to other distros? If you don't like the proven RHL/Fedora release model and lifecycle, at least stop to understand it. If you prefer Debian's lifecycle, by all means, go for it!

But let us not forget these realities ...

What distro put forth GLibC 2 (threaded libC)?
What distro put forth GCC 3 (ANSI C++ compliance)?
What distro put forth NPTL (various threading/compat)?
What distro put forth SELinux (MAC/RBAC)?

People talk about Red Hat Linux, then Fedora Core, "breaking things."
People are still talking about how Red Hat Linux 5 "broke everything."
Same deal for 7, 9 and Fedora Core 2, without stopping to wonder why.
No one steps back to realize the _massive_effort_ it took to adopt these radical changes.
They just look at Debian or some other distro some year or two later and say - "oh, we waited until it was stable."

Um, no.  Sorry.

You waited until another distro adopted something, including redeveloping many core components,
and then all other developers/maintainers had to accommodate, and reaped the benefits of that after-the-fact.
All while blaming it on Red Hat Linux, now Fedora, two fold - complaining about the change and incompatibility, then hypocritically saying you waited on the compatibility.

Sorry, putting something into Sid isn't the same as a major, refactored Red Hat Linux / Fedora release.
It takes a crapload of effort to make massive, core changes, just to get to that release.
And that still doesn't address the issues post-release of added software, which also has to be refactored.
It's then, and only then, we get the necessary, concerted effort to "move forward."

Not by sitting back and waiting for someone like Red Hat to force the issue and projects to accomodate.
Also remeber the percentage of contributions Red Hat developers make to various projects, to help them refactor and redevelop after major changes.

Bryan J Smith - mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org
http://thebs413.blogspot.com
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile