Infinite Freedom???

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Wed Jun 20 17:42:50 UTC 2007

Rodrigo Padula wrote:
>> I think that firmwares would not have to be distributed in fedora Medias
>> > (CDS, DVDS).
>>
>> Thanks for your opinion.  We disagree.
>

> The FSF disagree of you!

Do you represent the FSF?  If not, please don't make such strong
statements on their behalf.  We agree with the FSF principles of freedom.

We _also_ have a stance that firmware required to make hardware run is
part of the hardware, even if not physically attached to the hardware.
There are many reasons for this.  Bryan explained it very clearly.

For yet another example, the Cisco Aironet card has one of the best
supported wireless drivers in the kernel.  However, it requires firmware
on the card to perform its wireless functions.  It comes pre-loaded on
the card so you are set and don't need to do anything to use it.
However, if you want to update your firmware, you need to load up a
closed-source application that AFAIK only works under Windows.

With the Cisco card, you aren't required to have a "binary blob" on your
computer but you can never update your firmware without booting into
Windows and using a closed source application.

Does that sound like more freedom to you?  It really doesn't to me.