Fwd: Has fedora lost its charm ? ? ?

Wilmer Jaramillo M. wilmer at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 1 01:26:29 UTC 2007

On 4/30/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 07:49 +0100, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> >> Looking at Ubuntu 7.04 tour I'd say these look like the major
> >> additions to Ubuntu:
> >>
> >> *Windows migration tool
> >
> > I don't think it will be long before you see this in Fedora; the
> > fuse-libs, ntfs-3g and ntfsprogs are present on the Live CD I tried, and
> > I'd bet they're on the general-purpose DVD spin as well.  This is a pet
> > issue I briefly stumped for -- it would be great to be able to include
> > modules in firstboot to offer users the ability to migrate content
> > (email, bookmarks, etc.) from an existing Windows partition into
> > appropriate Fedora apps.
>
> I did look at this btw. The tool in Ubuntu is based on the debian
> packaging system and cannot be easily ported to Fedora. We probably need
> to write something from scratch which is a pity.

I just used Debian, i don't know migration tool of Ubuntu, but there
is tools as OpenMoveOver[1] that to should are not free, should
somebody to consider/check out it?

[1] http://openmoveover.sourceforge.net/
--
Wilmer Jaramillo M.
GPG Key Fingerprint = 0666 D0D3 24CE 8935 9C24 BBF1 87DD BEA2 A4B2 1E8A