Liberations fonts from Red Hat

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu May 10 09:42:10 UTC 2007

Le Jeu 10 mai 2007 11:13, Rahul Sundaram a écrit :
> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>> Le Jeu 10 mai 2007 00:34, Rahul Sundaram a écrit :
>>> Hi
>>
>> Hi Rahul,
>>
>>> The initial font sets include Latin, Greek and Cyrillic characters
>>> and
>>> lacks hinting. The next update is planned to have hinting and
>>> support
>>> for other locales.
>>
>> This calls for many questions:
>
> [I am not involved with this effort in any intimate level nor am I
> anyway an expert in font technology. The contact point for more
> details
> is Red Hat counsel, Mark Webbink who has been driving this effort. He
> is
> pretty busy so getting official answers is going to take sometime. I
> will answer these to my best of my knowledge. If you want further
> clarifications I would have to get back to him]

I think core fonts are a highly user-visible part of the distribution,
and it would be better if the people @rh behind this project presented
it on fedora-devel before people learn of it through a press release.

This development is probably positive but the communication choices so
far are not too community-oriented (which is a pity since the
licensing choices  imply a community orientation)

I doubt I've exhausted the questions people will want answers to.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot