Release announcement talking points -- Anaconda-Kickstart

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at
Thu May 24 13:03:22 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 14:47 -0500, chasd wrote:
> ...
> I know, kickstart, that's a hill I have yet to climb.
> ...
> It is easier to justify the learning time for making our own spin  
> rather than spend the time learning kickstart.

Anaconda-Kickstart is more than just about packaging.  It's about
complete automation of the entire pre-/post-install process.  When you
are deploying 100 systems, the network boot/install process with
non-interactive install is _mandatory_.

It's been almost 7 years since I've _ever_ installed RHL/FC/RHEL from
media.  98% of those have been NFS-based installs, the other 2% were
copied .isos to a spare drive/partition.  Well over half those were TFTP
boots, while others were either floppy (pre-2.6), USB dongle or mini-CD
(not the whole #1 CD).  I.e., if I'm not using a Kickstart, I'm booting
the installer with "askmethod" anyway.

I mean, the last time I did a full media install, it was Red Hat Linux
7.  It's how I've personally (and professionally) installed thousands of
RHL/FC/RHEL systems.

> If I was to pick out something really visible to me personally, it  
> would be Firefox 2 and Thunderbird 2.

I install them under /usr/local/lib/name-ver and symlink to
firefox2/thunderbird2 right now.  Works much better and co-exists with
the official firefox/thunderbird packages.

Bryan J. Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at
        Fission Power:  An Inconvenient Solution

More information about the Fedora-marketing-list mailing list