Distrowatch dot com judgment of Fedora's relation with the "community"

rerushg at homexpressway.net rerushg at homexpressway.net
Thu May 10 11:35:58 UTC 2007

>Herman writes...
>Or is there (still) some truth in his statement?
Yes, there is truth in it, still. I wrote about this to this group a month
or so ago. I won't regurgitate all that here.

>"Cons: Less community-oriented than other major distributions....."
That's what Distrowatch said. I'd be curious to hear what others think
this statement actually means. What do you think "less community-oriented"
means?

And Rahul has written a wonderfully constructed reply.

Don't get me wrong. I like Fedora. But I'm not an "insider" so I don't
necessarily feel compelled to leap to its defence. Perhaps someone should
play a bit of "devil's advocate" here.

Would it be worthwhile, Rahul, to probe Mr. Bodnar a bit on this matter?
That is: "Why do you feel this way?".... "Are there facts (complaints,
etc.) that justify the comment or is it a 'general
perception'?".....etc...
Point is: Maybe there is something to be learned here so it might first be
useful to understand the authors meaning, sources, and motivation.

Further: As Linux Desktop moves, rapidly it seems, from the tech world
(where Fedora shines) to the consumer world, facts become less important
and give way to perception. Jessica Simpson TV ad on 1080i HDTV: "I
totally don't know what it is but I want it". Pretty much says it all.
If Mr. Bodnar is conveying a perception felt within the general Linux
public it's important to understand that and deal with it.

Rick