Liberations fonts from Red Hat

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu May 10 20:09:31 UTC 2007

Le vendredi 11 mai 2007 à 01:28 +0530, Rahul Sundaram a écrit :
> chasd wrote:
> >> http://www.press.redhat.com/2007/05/09/liberation-fonts/
> >
> > Excellent news.
> > Should Fedora web sites, promotional documents, presentations, and
> > documentations use these fonts ?
>
> These are just meant for compatibility with existent content that uses
> some of the popular Microsoft fonts. I wouldn't advocate using them
> anywhere by default.

Yes. Especially since so far those fonts do not exist at all within
Fedora. This is no the typical feature which has already been discussed
in technical Fedora forums and is available in Fedora Devel at least
(the RHEL packages would no pass review in their current form)

> > Is it a guideline that marketing materials only contain / use freely
> > licensed fonts ?
>
> Definitely. If there any choice at all in the matter we should use fonts
> that have no or minimum restrictions.

And we already have such fonts in Fedora. And we don't have the
Arial/TNR metric contraint on our own documents.

--
Nicolas Mailhot