Fedora: Freedom is a Feature.

Paul Stauffer paulds at bu.edu
Fri Oct 5 15:36:39 UTC 2007

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 10:54:12AM -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> "Freedom is a Feature" is a trademark of The Fedora Project and Red Hat,
> Inc.  Use of the words "Freedom is a Feature" without express written
> consent is strictly prohibited by U.S. and International Law.
>
> Um, I don't think that would look great on Slashdot.

Yeah?  I'm not saying we try to make a big deal about it or anything.  You
think someone else would?  Why?  I mean, the logo is a trademark too, right?
Why would an official slogan that would be frequently used in connection
with the logo be any different?  Don't any of the other distributions have
trademark slogans?  Or are you just remarking on the perceived irony of a
phrase containing the word "freedom" being considered a form of intellectual
property?

If we really do want to have some sort of recognizable pithy slogan that
people will mentally associate with Fedora, then that slogan will clearly be
a key part of Fedora's brand identity.  That's what trademarks *are*.  I
don't see any reason to intentionally ignore that.

- Paul

--
Paul Stauffer <paulds at bu.edu>
Manager of Research Computing