Fedora: Freedom is a Feature.

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Oct 5 16:58:13 UTC 2007

Dimitris Glezos a écrit :

> Simple, focused. Very nice slogan.
>
> Maybe a bit more difficult to be translated than the current one
> ("Infinity. Freedom. Voice.").

I was about to make this point too.
I love "Freedom is a Feature" – in English.
But I haven't the faintest idea how to translate it in a satisfactory
manner in my own language.

The problem is that while "Freedom" is a well-established universal
concept, "feature" is obscure CS-marketoïd speak.

While some languages like English have reused nice pre-existing words
for the "CS feature" concept, others use terribly contrived bureaucratic
words, and I suspect some do not even have any local word for "feature".
It's just not important enough for the vast majority of world's
population to justify wording. It's 100% CS jargon speak.