Fedora: Freedom is a Feature.

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Oct 5 20:06:39 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 21:56 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Karsten Wade a écrit :
> > On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 18:58 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> >
> >> While some languages like English have reused nice pre-existing words
> >> for the "CS feature" concept, others use terribly contrived bureaucratic
> >> words, and I suspect some do not even have any local word for "feature".
> >> It's just not important enough for the vast majority of world's
> >> population to justify wording. It's 100% CS jargon speak.
> >
> > Not really ... the word 'feature' used in this way is pretty old.
>
> You're describing how English speakers chose to apply a general word for
> to a very specific context. You could replace feature with element,
> property or part in your examples. You can not replace it in the
> proposed slogan. Because feature in the slogan has a very specific CS
> jargon meaning, and this specific meaning does not translate well.

I just figured that since the CS-specific meaning is derived directly
from the general meaning, then using the general meaning to find a word
would work.  It doesn't have to be alliterative or as short.  But there
may be a subtlety here with localization that I don't understand?

If you said to me, "Freedom is a feature of our school," I would
understand that meaning without knowing the CS-specific context.  Why
wouldn't that apply to the usage in Fedora?

In other words, knowing the CS-specific meaning adds depth to the
understanding of the slogan, but not knowing the CS-specific meaning
doesn't detract from the slogan.

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.