Freedom is *just* a Feature?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Sat Oct 6 04:56:43 UTC 2007

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 12:34:41AM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Was there any argument against Karsten's variation of:
> "Fedora is freedom" ?

I think the original has such an immediate positive reaction for readers of
this list -- and I think for most of Fedora's core market, as well --
precisely because we hear it in the sense of computer jargon. It's the
perfect response to people who think giving up that freedom will somehow
make Fedora better.

On the other hand, "_____ is freedom" is too generic -- it's so overused as
to be meaningless. The Jeep Grand Cherokee is freedom. Nike is freedom.
British Telecom is freedom. A handgun is freedom. Medication is freedom.
Rock and roll is freedom. Truth is freedom. Education is freedom. Feminine
hygine products are freedom.