Fedora: Freedom is a Feature.

M Daniel R Magarzo b2.mdr.magarzo at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 16:09:25 UTC 2007

El vie, 05-10-2007 a las 23:22 +0200, JoergSimon escribió:
> Am Freitag, 5. Oktober 2007 22:20:02 schrieb John Babich:
> > On 10/5/07, Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > "Freedom is a feature, not a bug".
>
> boring

I agree. It seems intended for tech people.
However, potential new tech users never would be attracted by something
like that.

> > The point is that "Freedom is a feature" is a good slogan in that it
> > translates well and provides fertile ground for further elaboration.

I've a brief theory/thought that can be applied to non-native English
speakers, for me own experience. Maybe that explain why somebody said
before that "Freedom is a feature" seems too long..
That (ugly in my opinion..) slogan, in my mother tongue (Spanish) would
be literally "La libertad es una característica". Conclusion: in Spanish
(in this case), that's not an slogan. Nobody here could imagine that as
an slogan, ..believe me.
Where's problem then? I think our brain tends immediately to translate
(with or without our conscious consent..) short phrases, especially if
we think (or the mind catchs..) that that sentence in particular is
somewhat important (and this is the case of slogans, by definition).

> From my German point - my feelings are divided about this slogan,  easy to
> consume yes - because you will not think about it - it sounds like all of the
> slogans "freedom inside", "Fedora, the better way of live", "Freedom is a
> feature"... boring.

I agree.

> For me,  "what Fedora is" is not enough transported - as a alternative on a
> poster or a shirt yes this would be a nice idea. But for me the "infinity
> voice freedom" slogan is the better one.

"Infitiny. Voice. Freedom" is not an slogan IMHO, since it isn't even a
shaped phrase.
And who said that an slogan must define a subject? You men are trying to
find something that someway can define what Fedora is.
An slogan, IMHO, can try that way or can try to transmit some essence,
some idea; in the first situation, the worst (rude) way would be three
basic ideas separated by a colon. That's what we apparently have.
No too much imagination.

> Cheers Joerg

Daniel