Fedora Life Cycle

William Cattey wdc at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 22 22:58:01 UTC 2007

I too have been agonizing over product cycles.

Enterprise is stable, but on the desktop often does not get critical
device drivers until too late in the life cycle of hardware.  And the
hardware I'm looking at is not the fancy gamer platform.  It is the
workhorse enterprise desktop platform like Dell Optiplex.

Furthermore Enterprise does not get certain new apps quite soon
enough.  For example OpenOffice 2.0 and Firefox 2.0.  (I have had
some very interesting conversations with some of the folks who were
majorly involved in the decisions about roll-out of apps, and I
appreciate the sensible rationale expressed for the path taken.
Nevertheless, I took the heat when the majority of the world moved on
to a version of the app not supported by Red Hat.  Doing an mit-only
early deploy of an app is something we're investigating, but it too
has issues.)

Fedora would be an attractive alternative except that it is too
volatile.  Indeed many difficult release engineering problems go away
with a 1 year release and 2 year life cycle.

EPEL is an interesting and possibly helpful alternative because it
gets some of the interesting apps from Fedora going on Enterprise.
Unfortunately, that doesn't solve the, "I can't buy the desktops on
sale this year because the disk driver, and/or the ethernet driver
and/or the video driver won't be back ported from Fedora to
Enterprise until the machines on sale this year are no longer
available."

Jesse Keating and Greg DeKoeningsberg say that stability is what RHEL
and CentOS are for, and that it's inappropriate to try and move
Fedora away from the benefits of the current state -- great
responsiveness, and tractable release engineering aspects for updates.

Indeed if the problem is framed, "stability versus innovation" the
two aspects are in conflict. My question is:

How can use cases for hardware available now, requiring a few
critical apps needing to be ported now be accommodated?  Neither
Enterprise nor Fedora fits well enough at the present time.

-Bill

----

William Cattey
Linux Platform Coordinator