Fedora Life Cycle

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Oct 24 20:50:15 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 15:03 -0400, jkeating wrote:

> Please keep in mind that id you want to do LLC Fedora, you're going to
> have to do it for Every release.  That's the whole reason you want
> Fedora, so you get newer software, etc... otherwise you'd take
> RHEL/CentOS.

That's one way to do it.  But not the only way.  There is a middle
ground -- two years of support for every odd numbered version of Fedora
isn't nearly the same thing as *EL.  It's really just adding 11 months
to the end of the odd release.  The updates available from the 13 month
EOL of F* will still be pretty fresh 11 months later, especially
compared to how crusty the associated *EL release could be by then.

Obviously if we chart it all out, we'll see some times of continuity
where the F*odd is lined right up with the *EL version.  I'd figure that
any group that wants to do LLC Fedora would spend some time figuring
that out.

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.