Re: Fedora: Freedom is a Feature.

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, Paul Stauffer wrote:

Or are you just remarking on the perceived irony of a phrase containing the word "freedom" being considered a form of intellectual property?

This point exactly. With other slogans, I'd be less concerned. With this slogan, the idea of protecting the mark gives me some pretty serious heartburn.

If we really do want to have some sort of recognizable pithy slogan that people will mentally associate with Fedora, then that slogan will clearly be a key part of Fedora's brand identity. That's what trademarks *are*. I don't see any reason to intentionally ignore that.

Ordinarily, I'd agree with you. In this *particular* instance, I don't. Yet. I could be persuaded.

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg
Community Development Manager